In 1927 the railway camp shifted from Ceratodus to Mulgeldie (as it was spelt then), bringing with it the tent school which served the children of the railway workers. The first Principal was Mr James Williamson. There were 21 students.
In 1928 the Department of Public Instruction sought gazettal of the School Reserve at Mulgildie. Approval was granted for the erection of a school – a sectional type with a room measuring 21’ by 18’ to accommodate 40 pupils. The building would cost 645 pounds.
The new school building was occupied on 7th October, 1929 and the school became a State School on 1st January 1930.
Steps were taken to build a school residence. It was built by G.H.Jell for a total of 640 pounds and was occupied for the first time on 16th January, 1935.
Mulgildie became a two teacher school on 1st April, 1936. There were 49 students present. An additional classroom was provided in 1937.
The book Mulgildie District Schools Golden Jubilee 1927 – 1977 and Mulgildie State School 75th Anniversary 1927 – 2002 are available at the school to read and see the history of Mulgildie. Very interesting reading.
The school buildings have grown and the school residence is still occupied by the principal.